Thursday, June 11

The Third Wheel Manifesto


Couples, these musings you are about to read are the collective sighs we let out every time we are asked to be “The Third Wheel”. We as your friends realize that you don’t mean to deposit upon us the guilt and shame that comes along with this status, but, you must realize, you are different now. You used to be one of us, the single, grazing few who look up from the grass every now and then to gaze lazily across the plain, but you’ve been picked off - taken from the herd.

Being the Third Wheel makes us feel semi-pathetic, because if we’re available to go out with you that usually means we didn’t have better plans ourselves. Now, I suppose that when I start dating again someone will register the same complaints with me, but until then, I’m trashing this antiquated buddy system.

When I think of three, I think: odd number…disharmony… three’s a crowd.

People stare at us when we’re trailing behind you; pitying us like we’re some poor, humpbacked, misshapen creature from a horror movie. Forget trying to offer a rebuttal, because let me assure you that my sources are strong. In order to relay accurate and reliable statistics, I required that all “Wheels” have at least thirty hours or more out in the field before they could participate in this study. These poor souls and I only hope that you take heed to our research as well as our pleas.

What is agreed upon, according to most Wheels are the following: once you start dating, it’s as if your new personality arrived from a parallel universe. It’s bizarre; you seem to have lost brain cells. Apparently you all possess dictionaries that only supply pet names like ‘Boo Bear’, ‘Honey Love’, ‘Noodle’, ‘Cupcake’, ‘Pumpkin’ and ‘Love Muffin’. I mean, are those names or menu items? Are you dating them or eating them?

Ever notice that when you engage us in conversation using these names that we supply a look of confusion and proceed to ask you “whom are you referring to”? You follow-up by saying, “you know who I’m talking about, I’m talking about my boo.”

"Oh. Your boo."

Now listen up, because you NEED to know this. We WANT you to know this. First, yes, we do know whom you’re speaking about. But our rulebook on such matters clearly state… in order to preserve ones dignity a reply of no is required, yes, a firm, “no, I don’t know who you’re talking about”.

This allows us to retain some self-respect. This is not story time; you are not reading to children. Please, spare us and use their real names.

Second, sitting. There are major problems with the seating arrangements. We, as the minority, realize that there’s no solution, no better way to handle it, but it doesn’t mean we have to like it. We don’t want to be alone on the aisle two rows behind you; it’s lonely and obvious. Problem is, if we sit with you, you don’t really want us there and furthermore it’s not our idea of fun to watch you cuddle, swap spit and play with each other’s hair through a two hour movie. So, basically, it’s a case of screwed if you do, screwed if you don’t.

There have been complaints made by other “Wheels” that good movies are being ruined on account of insane, uncalled for acts of lovey-doveyness…and in public view nonetheless!

One Wheel said, “I was sitting there enjoying my popcorn, when BOOM! Out of nowhere the couple began taking turns sipping from the same straw repeating to one another, “…and one for you and one for me…” I became so physically ill I had to excuse myself and use the ladies room.” Couples, this behavior and utter lack of respect for your Wheel has to stop!

So low on the totem pole is the Wheel that it is now being compared to Chinese Water Torture; every outing like a slow drip.

Waiting in the car while you the two of you commence a thirty-minute goodnight.

Drip…

Having to watch you no longer realize how to walk independently, always holding hands, apparently, in order to stand up straight.

Drip…

Asking us to do our own thing for about an hour and then meet you back at the car after you invited us to hang out with you!

Drip…

Now for the record, there are exceptions. Some “Wheels” have reported pleasant times accompanying their friends. They said being treated as part of a group and not apart from it was entirely refreshing. I assure you this is not a common occurrence; they happen about as often as pink elephants are spotted.

Reality of the matter is, even though I state and claim these things, I’m a sucker when it comes to my friends and suckers get sucked in. So, until I learn my lesson or retain the will power to say no, chances are that’ll be me you see sitting behind two people gazing into each other’s eyes. I’ll be the one staring off into space wondering what I should have said to avoid all this. I’ll be thinking I should have handled this situation as one wise doctor might have:

“I do not like to be the wheel.
I do not think it’s a fair deal.
You have me sitting in the back.
It’s worse than being on the rack.
I would not like to meet you there.
And would I like to drive you where?
It’s like you’ve gone and lost your mind.
I’ll tell you this just one more time.
My brain is fried, I think no more.
I’m slowly gagging on the floor.
And if you ask me one more time,
I swear I’ll poke you in eye.”

Or something like that.
photo by John Fraissinet

11 comments:

Jeff said...

I think there is another side as well, which is the oblivious third wheel. This is the character who is painfully being a third wheel in a situation where they don't belong, but don't realize it.

It was also me before I started dating again. To Kurt and Lauren, I apologize.

jerrod said...

I was a third wheel once. Went to dinner... went back to her place. The three of us were sitting on the couch not talking about anything worth anything. Then he gets up and goes to her bedroom. She follows. They didn't even say anything to me then she started praying. I let myself out.

true story.

SkylersDad said...

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said, but I am shuddering at Jerrod's comment.

Politics of Love Chick said...

Jerrod - I'm gonna have to agree with SkylersDad. That's just appalling. Why do people do that? I've been there when they were taking it to that level...why can't they just ask you to leave.

Jeff - I love the apology. LOL

Alyson said...

I've been pretty lucky with my friends. Most of them have been together so long that they don't feel the need to be all over each other when we go out. Of course, now that's not an issue...might be soon...oh eff it.

"...once you start dating, it’s as if your new personality arrived from a parallel universe."

Probably one of the reasons that my relationships never work out is because I don't do that. I don't do pet name bullshit and I'm not becoming some polished version of myself to look good for the new BF. Nope.

Politics of Love Chick said...

OWO - You Rock!

I so agree. I really have a problem with girls or guys for that matter that feel the need to strip on a new personality when they're dating. It's so phony. And I thought the point was to be accepted for who you are.

Now I do have some sane friends but I just had to let the other ones know that it's time to cut this crap out!

Anonymous said...

Relationships are quite complicated one has to face when in trouble, but it's also

not as bad as one would be led to believe in it.Just try to brush away all those

misunderstandings and believe in the fact of making-up that relationship all

you have to do is to start knowing what really went wrong and what made two

humans who loved each other in depth to part their ways, is it because of money

mis-management or something else . You can always find the answer here.

Money and Couples

Anonymous said...

My two bestfriends are a couple and I love them to death but they drive me insane sometimes with their fighting and public display of affection. One night we had been drinking and came back home. i passed out on the couch. Unfortunately, I wasn't passed out enough to not hear them having sex 8 feet away from me. I was mortified.

Anonymous said...

Well, first off, reading this made me feel better about my own experience! So, thanks :)

I was a third wheel today. I don't know why my best friend's very recent boyfriend had to keep on with the hugs from behind, kiss here, kiss there . . . if it had just been the two of them in the art gallery, sure. But I wondered why he didn't have enough consideration for me to keep his hands off her for just a couple hours. Not because I mind the fact that they're together, but because it's damned awkward for me!

On the plus side, I like a certain gorgeous man, and think it's mutual. Is it ok to give my dear friend a taste of what this feels like?

Boyd Petrie said...

This post made me laugh out loud. I have been third wheel so frequently, I started to lose my own identity. Hell, I think even my own desire to date became seriously damaged as a result of watching what couples do to each other in public. I thought, "As God as my witness, I shall never be one of them!"

And my single-ness has continued unabated since. Luckily, I found that I enjoy dancing to loud club music alone, which makes going out alone far easier than, say, sitting alone in the movie theater, waiting anxiously for the theater lights to dim so people on dates don't awkwardly wonder why you are sitting by yourself.

PoliticsChick said...

SO TRUE BOYD, SO TRUE!